|Side view of my brain based on MRI. It's not really blue|
Since Blogger does not allow HTML in the 'About Me' section, I thought it good to make a separate post, to let readers know a little about one of the people behind BrainMaps.org. I do realize that this is self-indulgent, but this is the only personal post on this blog, so feel free to stop reading now and skip to other posts.
I was born on the eastern coast of Spain, of Hungarian and Spanish descent, moved to NJ, and then to TX, then to MD for graduate school in neuroscience at Johns Hopkins, and am now in sunny CA at the Univ of Calif, where hopefully I'll remain for awhile.
I work in computational neuroscience and neuroanatomy. I am involved with the BrainMaps Project at the University of California, which involves online high resolution brain mapping.
Here are a few publications to give an idea about my work:
- Mikula S, Manger PR, Jones EG (2007) The Thalamus of the Monotremes: Cyto- and Myeloarchitecture and Chemical Neuroanatomy. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. PMID 17229579
- Mikula S, Trotts I, Stone J, Jones EG (2007) Internet-Enabled High-Resolution Brain Mapping and Virtual Microscopy."NeuroImage" 35(1):9-15 PMID 17229579
- Trotts I, Mikula S, Jones EG (2007) Interactive Visualization of Multiresolution Image Stacks in 3D."NeuroImage" PMID 17336095
- Mikula S, Niebur E (2007) Exact Solutions for Rate and Synchrony in Recurrent Networks.
- Mikula S, Fontoura-Costa L, Liu X-B, Jones EG (2007) Particle and Cell Segmentation for Light and Electron Microscopy Using Mathematical Morphology.
- Mikula S, Niebur E (2006) A Novel Method for Visualizing Functional Connectivity using Principal Component Analysis."Int J Neurosci" 116(4):419-29 PMID 16574580
- Mikula S, Niebur E (2005) Rate and Synchrony in Feedforward Networks of Coincidence Detectors: Analytical Solution."Neural Computation" 17(4):881-902 PMID 15829093
- Mikula S, Niebur E (2004) Correlated Inhibitory and Excitatory Inputs to the Coincidence Detector: Analytical Solution."IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks" 15(5):957-62 PMID 15484872
- Mikula S, Niebur E (2003) Synaptic Depression leads to Nonmonotonic Frequency Dependence in the Coincidence Detector."Neural Computation" 15(10):2339-58 PMID 14511524
- Mikula S, Niebur E (2003) The Effects of Input Rate and Synchrony on a Coincidence Detector: Analytical Solution."Neural Computation" 15(3):539-47 PMID 12625330